The above video is from NightmareMode
After completing the pylons and getting your loot there is a short run to the Infernal Council room. There are 8 council members (8-man ops) waiting for you in stasis. Each one has a specific mechanic and each member of your group will be paired up with one in a solo fight to the death.
- 2 Tanks
- 2 Healers
- 4 DPS
These vary between council members
- Juggernauts > decrease armor and prevent healing, low damage, medium health
- Assassins > high damaging DOT, high damage, low health
- Marauders > low damage, high health
- Each person is assigned to their own council member
- Each person must kill their council member
- You can only help a group member once per minute (you have a debuff where you will do no damage or healing for a minute after helping)
- Fight is timed, must be completed before a certain time limit
NOTE: Do not use group abilities (Sentinel group healing skill) during this fight, it counts as helping and gives you the debuff
Normal Mode Strategy:
Assign Tanks to fight the Juggernauts, healers fight the assassins and DPS fight the marauders. The Assassin DOT should be cleansed ASAP - for the rest it's just a matter of doing ST-DPS to kill your target.
Make use of your cooldowns and try to kill your target as fast as possible. If you take too long killing yours the whole fight will reset and everyone will have to start over.
Once you kill your target you can help a teammate once every minute. What this means is use your largest single target damage attack (not channeled) - or single largest heal (if necessary). Usually by the time you've killed yours there will only be about a minute left, so make it count.
Hard Mode Strategy:
Same as Normal - council members do more damage
Nightmare Mode Strategy:
Same as above - again they do more damage
The fight is functionally the same, there are just more council members spread around the room. They don't appear to have more health, but they do a bit more damage (slight, could be due to RNG).
NOTE: We were actually running with 4 Tanks at this point because we were meshing 2 separate 8-man groups and everyone was still able to find an optimal target. I'm not sure if the council changes based on your group composition of if it will always include the same - anyone with experience on this could leave a comment and let me know?
You don't have to be standing on your target when the fight begins, get yourself far enough away that you can begin with a force leap to generate some focus. I also hit my focus generating skill either right at the start, or just before the fight begins for that extra boost to begin with.
From that point you become a DPS and should use your priority rotation for doing as much damage as quickly as possible. I will often swap out some of my tanking gear for DPS gear just to get that little edge.
I'm often one of the last to complete the fight, but I do get finished. Prioritizing execute after 20% really speeds things up, it's just a matter of keeping your focus high so you can do that.
- Tank > Juggernaut, Healer > Assassin, DPS > Marauder
- Each person solos their assigned target
- Kill your target before time runs out
- Help someone else once per minute using your highest damage/healing skill - only after you are completely finished with your own target